
A piece by Barnaby Furnas, one of the current exhibiting artists at MCA Denver.

I realized that I have not blogged about teaching art yet and because I have recently been inspired, I thought I would share! To start, teaching art in Denver is
incredible because of the MANY museums and arts events going on in the city. There are public artworks everywhere and there is a general "promotion of the arts" vibe that keeps me constantly inspired. Most recently I have been going to a series of workshops at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Denver. It has been AWESOME!!!! It is super simulating to get together with so many other "arts" teachers (visual, theatre, dance, etc..) and I walk away each week pumped up about teaching art!ha Plus, I have always known how vital the arts are to education, but now I'm really learning the research behind it and the results are staggering. I love being able to help my students think about the world in new ways, question the "norms", and take risks with their artwork. This week I am working with my third graders on completing a monoprint project. Their task is to create a new/unique symbol that represents peace and "togetherness" (this goes along with a play they are putting on). Anyway, without going into major detail, I have been so impressed with how creative they can be when thinking outside of the box. So there is a little taste of art teaching. The switch from kindergarten to art has been AWESOME...I don't know that I'll ever go back to regular ed. again=)
No comments:
Post a Comment