Monday, July 27, 2009

We are from North Carolina

Everywhere we go people ask us "Where are you from?" This did not seem that unusual to me until this weekend when we were in a shoe store in the mall. Andy was trying on shoes and the woman helping us asked us that same question. "Where are you from?" she asked. I told her North Carolina, but that we had moved here recently. Then we went to another store and the salesman asked us "Where are you from?." After he asked us, I started to wonder "In the past, when I have gone to malls, do people usually ask me where I'm from?" No, I concluded. They don't. They would assume that we lived in the area. So then I started thinking, do we look really different than the people around us? Do we talk really different? I'll admit, Andy was not dressed in a funky t-shirt and tight jeans and I was not sporting a tattoo or a super trendy/outdoorsy outfit (if you can even imagine what that would look like!ha), but did we stand out that much?

Maybe it was the 'ya'lls' that came out or it was the rainbows that we were both wearing, but whatever it was (and is), people seem to know we aren't from Denver. Andy says when people ask us that question, that I should just make things less complicated and say that we are from here. Technically, he is right. We do live in Denver, but I just can't seem to make myself say Denver and leave it at that. I like connecting us to our Carolina past. What can I say, North Carolina was our home for 7 + years. I can't let it go that easily....

3 comments:

  1. Oh, ask them some time why they ask! I would love to know the answer too.

    Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the previous pics...miss Eli & my adventures in the wilderness...enjoy. We will again too when this babe is a little older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, NC with pride :) Hope it's going well out there; miss you!

    ReplyDelete